In the service department, I offer the same reedwork as with the custom harps I sell. Prices below are the rates for my labor, on your harp.
If you want a custom Hohner Rocket or Golden Melody, provide me with the harmonica(s) and I’ll charge you for the reedwork according to prices below. Golden Melodies should be sent with Andrew Zajac custom combs. Rockin’ Rons can drop ship both to me for your convenience.
My focus is on providing the best playing harmonicas I can make, for a fair price. I’m normally able to do that while using the stock parts that the harps come with from the factory.
The exception to that is Golden Melody harmonicas. If you need me to set up a GM harp, you’ll also need to send a Zajac comb with it.
I do NOT like to use custom combs in most other cases.
When YOU provide the harmonica, prices for the work are below:
STAGE I™ REED LABOR ($115 plus postage) traditional setup.
- Both reed plates are straightened and comb flattened to eliminate air loss.
- All 20 reeds are accurately indexed so the reeds swing straight in the slots.
- All 20 reed slots are embossed to reduce reed/slot tolerances.
- All 20 reeds are properly shaped for optimum dynamic geometry.
- Fully strobe tuned.
- This reedwork will transform your harp into a dynamic, air-efficient musical instrument. It will have a rich, balanced tone that’s louder without being abrasive. There will be an even feel or “action” across all notes including bends, from bottom to top.
STAGE II™ REED LABOR ($145 plus postage) adds 4-5-6 pro-overblow setup.
STAGE II+™ REED LABOR ($165 plus postage) adds 7 overdraw
I NO LONGER OFFER FULL OVERBLOW/OVERDRAW SETUP (AKA STAGE III)
I ONLY WORK ON NEW, CURRENT PRODUCTION HARPS.
Newer reeds are better than old reeds, tolerances and materials have improved.